London to Salzburg on a bike - Stage 6 - Schengen to Metz via Thionville - 60km - on the Moselle

Stuck in the mud and a watery ride into France - 11th September 2013
Impressive barges on the Moselle
Had a good self-service breakfast at the SchengenYouth Hostel. My room, in a large modern building was basic but comfortable. Managed the overnight chores of getting Carmen charged and getting the clothes dry very well. By the way, Carmen has about a 10 hour battery life so yesterday she was complaining of low batteries as I left Luxembourg. Fortunately, I could feed her from a Power Walker battery in my handlebar bag via a USB cable. Could not have got down here on a safe route without a bit of Carmen's guidance.
My home for the night near Schengen
Rosinante had a comfortable garage for the night, shared with a very impressive tandem Mountain Bike. So far I had been pretty lucky with the weather, just some showers during the day. Today was the first really, really wet one and overshoes were on as I pedalled back to the Moselle. My route today was planned to take me into Germany and down the River Saar. Schengen is where a number of European countries signed a treaty that did away with Passport Checks. Must have been a few jobs lost around here because it's where France, Germany and Luxembourg meet. I went over the River and passed through Germany into France and then my Eurovelo 5 route threw a wobbly! I ended up on pushing the bike up a wet and muddy grass track and it seemed to be getting worse. I had no detailed map of the area so I could not navigate through to the Saar on normal roads. After deliberating for a while, and with the rain dripping off my helmet, I decided to get back to the Moselle and ride down to Metz via Thionville.
Moselle Canal
Following the River Moselle near Schengen
Not the prettiest of routes but it was flat and below the clouds. Stopped for some fuel in Thionville, quite a large City by the River. It was lunchtime and pretty much closed. It had a smart paved pedestrian area that seemed horrendously slippery underfoot. Unfortunately, I felt a bit out of place in my shorts, overshoes and bright yellow waterproof. I received funny looks from the school kids who know an oddity when they see one. Would probably have been quite pleasant sitting out at a pavement Cafe on a better day. I discovered the route to Metz and carried on along the Moselle. Quite a bit of industry on the outskirts of Metz and I found the tall industrial buildings quite daunting. Had to shelter under a tree near what looked like an Atomic Power Station. Moved on when I started to glow. Too early to go to the Youth Hostel, they normally open at around 5pm and it was still early afternoon. I wandered into the old City, pretty impressive cobbles. The Lady in the Tourist Office was very helpful. She suggested I go to another Hostel in the old town where I would get a cheap private room. She also suggested a route to take me to Sarrebourg the next day. I complimented the Lady on her English, I am English she replied. Been here in Metz a while though. A pause in the rain enabled me to look around the pedestrianised area. Quite impressed with Metz, it would be a good place to stop off. Don't think it is very car friendly but plenty of provision for bikes and buses, it also has a TGV line from Paris. A massive old Cathedral dominates the central area.
Anyway, it was time to head for the Carrefour Hostel. The lady on the desk was a bit grumpy, she only spoke French to me and very speedily! Think she had the hump because I was a bit early. She me gave a room to myself and the key to a garage out the back for Rosinante so not complaining. It was, I believe, a student hostel, impersonal but dry and warm. There is a big University in Metz and most of the inmates looked like young students just arrived in the City.
Had to go out to Dinner in the pouring rain, bit early for most restaurants so went to McDonalds. Had difficulty getting the McPerson to give me both fries and a salad but got there eventually. No possibility to explore Metz further in the teeming rain so headed home to plan my route for tomorrow and to hit the sack early. Had a quick beer in a nice bar on the way back though, it would have been rude not to.

Comments