London to Salzburg on a bike - Stage 2 Tournai to Villers la Ville - Le Try Logis - 116km - RV6 Picardie-Ardennes

Heading East across Belgium on RV6 - 7th September 2013
Typical morning landscape - farming country in Belgium
Big old building needing repair -
 a good renovation project by the river
On the Canal - not all industrial
Fantastic cycling on RV6 today. Nice flat start in the sunshine along the canalised river before heading inland at Antoing. Now, that would have been a good place to pick up some food for elevenses but, misguidedly, I pressed on through the town. This part of the route was very countrified and quiet and Antoing was one of the few places to take on fuel. Part way through the day I noticed that my RV6 route was physically marked by blue and yellow strips, typically on the road sign support posts.
Yellow & Blue to Follow
These small marks, along with Carmen the Garmin, take a lot of stress and frustration out of the cycling. Can enjoy the day without having to resort to maps or taking wrong turnings onto busy roads etc. I don't think these marks started in Lille, certainly did not see them but they may have done? I did hit some cobbles along the way. Had expected some pave, it goes with the Territory, but these cobbles were vicious. I tried to speed up by going along the edges or sometimes along the middle but poor old Rosinante took a helluva of a beating. Now I know what the Classic Racers have to endure. Luckily the roads were quiet and I could find the best line. Soignies is a fair-sized town and I spotted a McDonalds. It was Saturday so many families in for lunch, eating their chips. I joined them. It seemed to be super efficient, it really was fast food.
Back to the farmland and the weather was getting a bit dull but the pedalling was enjoyable. The next significant highlight was the Brussels/Charleroi Canal and a stupendous lifting lock at Ronquieres. Was lucky enough to see an enormous barge come sliding down a ramp from the higher level in a massive bath tub. This arrangement is apparently a lot more efficient than having a series of conventional locks.
Not sure what this is - looks a bit fishy to me!
Moving on, my route followed the towpath for a while before heading east again. Quite an air of prosperity around this part of Balgium, the route goes through a smart Golf Course at one point. I was not all that far from Brussels but it was still good countryside. Most of the day was spent cycling through open farm land but towards the end there was a noticeable change with more trees and a change to stone rather than brick buildings.  There is not much guest accommodation around this area but took a chance on finding somewhere to rest my head near Villers de Ville. There is a old Cistercian Abbey there and a Tourist Office. The Lady in the Office was extremely helpful and found a Gites for me. Had to retrace my ride for a fair distance but it was well worth it.
Going down the ramp at Ronquieres - a barge hitching a lift
The Gite - Le Try Logis - gave me the perfect welcome. Rosinante was brought inside and parked in the hall and I was given a beer. It was owned by a Belgian Lady with an Austrian husband. He was modifying the kitchen when I arrived. The Gite opened in August and is a modernised farmhouse in a quiet residential area. Quite convenient for Charleroi Airport (Brussels in Ryanair-speak) and the best place I stayed on my little bike tour to Salzburg.
What a relief when the cobbles end
In the rough - RV6 passing through this smart Golf Course
Ready for Breakfast at Le Try Logis

Le Try Logis
My roomate - the mouse that got the cheese
So, after being concerned about finding a place in this area and even having a Plan B to nip down to Charleroi Airport to stay in an Ibis, I felt very, very fortunate. The only downside was that my HTC phone, borrowed from TW, did not survive the cobbles. And they used to sponsor a bike team?

Comments