London to Salzburg on a bike - Stage 3 Villers la Ville to Crupet - 93km - RV6 Picardie-Ardennes

Beautiful Belgium - Castles and Canals - 8th September 2013
Back to the Belgian Cobbles, a break before the bumps
After a good nights sleep and a hearty breakfast it was time to get back on the now familiar road to Villers le Ville Abbey to resume my trip across Belgium. Once on new ground a long stretch of pave had to be enjoyed, or rather endured. Fortunately, the roads were quiet on this Sunday Morning in September as I bounced along. I saw a quite a number of other cyclists on my Sunday ride but never any on the cobbled sections. Local knowledge perhaps? At Ham I joined the joggers and walkers along the River Sambre to take me through to Namur.
La Sambre River - Reflections on my Ride on the towpath
La Sambre River - Lock at this
There is a bike path along this river/canal that links all the way back to Tournai but it goes through very industrial areas. I chose the more northerly RV6 , a country route, and do not regret it. The towpath surface was a bit variable, smooth concrete then rough stuff. Some interesting locks along the way. Three big sliding door gates so they could use only half the 'ecluse' if there was only a small boat. I left my waterside route in Namur, where La Sambre joins the Meuse. I had a quick ride around town and found the Tourist Office. The Tourist Offices in Belgium are very parochial and only deal with their area so its difficult to get information on the road ahead and accommodation options. Looked quite a nice City but could not help noticing quite a few tramps with a fondness for alcohol at various points. After a pedal around town I headed down, or rather, up the Meuse. Somehow I had imagined the river would be flowing the other way? So I had a slightly uphill route on cobbles but still happy.
On the edge of the Sambre - Namur - approaching the Meuse
Chateau on the Meuse
I found a Patisserie near the Meuse and demolished a couple of Apple Turnovers. Many people were sitting out at riverside restaurants having their Sunday lunch but I was quite happy with my sunny park bench. Carried on up the Meuse to Profondville. I had noticed the name on the map, seemed quite profound. Spent a lazy Sunday afternoon around there. Pedalled down the river a bit further but the towpath became rough cobbles so I turned back. Certainly a pretty part of Belgium.
Nice riding on the Meuse
Found a Supermarket and bought a fresh baguette and some ham to eat down by the River. I did ask about accommodation but could not find anything available. After deliberating for a
long time I headed for Crupet, billed as the most beautiful village in Wallonie. Will not argue with that description. Getting there was a bit tricky though. Carmen sent me over a Lock and a long Weir followed by a steepish hill. Found a Hotel in Crupet with space for me and Rosinante. It was rather nice, over-budget but I had to have a phone. I needed to have a telephone because with a faulty mobile I could not text TW. She would be thinking there was a corner of a foreign field, or ditch or canal that would be forever England. Public phones have become a bit of a rarity now, particularly in Belgium and France. Had no success finding one that worked in Namur or Profondville. Not sure that some young people today even know what one is.
The Grotto at Crupet
The Devil is in the detail  - The Grotto at Crupet
With my call made and shower taken I retrieved Rosinante from her Stable and headed back into the pretty village. There is a very impressive grotto next to the Church, there is a medieval castle surrounded by water and a very nice pub. I went to the Pub sat outside and ordered Steak, well done this time, with Chips and a beer. Perfect! Friendly service and good beer. Very much enjoying my little ride through Belgium.

My Hotel in Crupet - Rosinate was in the barn with the cats
Watching Beeb 1 in Belgium
Crupet Castle

Looks like a good place for Steak and Chips

Comments