London to Salzburg on a bike - Stage 7 - Metz to Sarrebourg - 100km



Cross-country run in France - 12th September 2013
Traditional Continental Breakfast - coffee in a bowl

Metz to Sarrebourg
Breakfast was very traditional in my hostel with coffee served in a bowl. I have to use the two handed hold just like Oliver. The locals seemed to need only one hand but there was no way I was going to spill any and I would not dare ask for more from the rather daunting Canteen lady. My co-breakfasters looked as though they were off to lectures. My destiny was the open road with the trusty Rosinante.
Metz in the morning
More cobbles in Metz
Morning at the Bar
There is no cycle route from Metz to Sarrebourg so I spent quite a bit of time studying the route suggested by the Tourist Office. The route was based around D999 which was a bit of a worry. Happily there were some side roads to the North that I could follow for much of the way. I also made sure I knew the way out of the City, that being the main problem I always face when navigating.  The 'Toutes Directions' signs displayed in every town are a waste of space for a cyclist, don't go there! Have to say I am quite impressed with Metz. Lots of History with a well-preserved old area. Plenty of new stuff as well with a lot of investment in the transport infrastructure. Seemed quite a vibrant place even in the rain. Would be quite happy to go back.
Pompidou Centre in Metz
Carmen gave me a route to Morhange which was about the half-way mark for the day. That worked like clockwork and took me on quiet country roads. I then asked her to set me a course for Saareborg. There are fewer options on this leg and it meant following a reasonably quiet main road. Carmen took me on bit of a detour to get to road, the D27, which at Vallerange involved a cart track and recently ploughed field.
Heading for D27 - it gets worse
Alert - on the udder side of the fence on the way to Sarrebourg
At least I could see traffic on a road ahead so sliding around on the muddy field did not concern me too much. Once on the road it was just a matter of ploughing on into the wind through farms and villages. Made my customary Boulangerie visit to get some lunch. Had a baguette and a nice coffee. The Lady running the place was friendly and we had bit of a chat.
I was at Sarrebourg in good time and found the Tourist office. Decided that Sarrebourg was a bit of a back-water and would probably have pushed on if the weather had been fine and had known about the bed options further along the road. Even the Lady in the Tourist Office was surprised I was staying! Went to the Gare where they told me there were public phones but I could not make them work. Hey-ho lets buy a phone. I wanted to check-in to a Hotel first but it seems they close reception in the afternoon at all the Hotels? Looked to see if I could buy an unlocked Simm-less phone at the big supermarket on the outskirts but had no luck. Then went to SFR and bought a cheap phone with a Simm and some call time. I could now text and phone TW again. I found out later that my new French phone was unlocked so could have used my Vodafone Simm and credit - ho hum.. Eventually managed to book into a very old-fashioned and tired Hotel de France. It had a bit of character I suppose. Rosinante had a home in a massive old garage across the road, it probably used to be a stable. The next challenge was finding some Dinner. Having been in the town for a few hours I knew my way around pretty well and had passed plenty of Restaurants. So my evening stroll in search of Dinner should have been easy. The Hotel recommended the Stammtisch (locals table in German) next door - it was totally devoid of customers so I walked on. All the Restaurants were empty! Eventually, after a full circuit of the Town, I returned to the Stammtisch and had my Dinner. At least there were now a few people inside this strangely decorated Restaurant. I joined the table of an American couple. They were over in Europe for some Genealogical research. Her folks were originally from this area. It was nice to have some company and the food was so-so. Sarrebourg is a strange place, do not think I will rush back. Might be better in decent weather of course. I vowed to be first at Breakfast at 7am with my bags packed and ready to go.
Have already seen a lot of places and covered quite a few km's. Looking forward to tomorrow and more time in the saddle.

Comments