London to Salzburg on a bike - Stage 12 - Rothenbach to Nessalwang - 66km - Bodensee-Königssee-Radweg

Lakes and Mountains - 17th September 2013
Coffee and a Cake in Oy

Rothenbach to Nesselwang
My Gasthof was right by the Church - it had Bells, lots of them all night
High on a hill
My clothes did not stay dry very long. Wet day again but only in showers so it was not unpleasant. Snow had fallen on the hills overnight so I needed full winter gear. The scenery and route were both superb. Stopped off at a Conditorei for my usual lunchtime fare. Getting into plum tarts in a big way. Amazing how you adapt to the weather. I actually stood out side and ate my food in the drizzle. Spoke to a group of four from Hamburg and could have cycled with them but they were very slow getting going after their coffee break.  Made use of the bus shelters again, I think they are really put here as rain shelters.


Bavarian Cows under the clouds
Many Lakes en route
Which way now?
Out of the barrel
The wonderful Lake and Mountain scenery continued all day. A massive rainstorm coincided with my arrival in a village called Oy so I just had to stop for coffee and a cake. Strange to see two letter place names in Germany, they normally go overboard with their syllables. Also saw an Au and an Od on my travels.  The Conditorei in Oy was lovely, certainly one of the best on the trip. I felt a bit scruffy standing inside and would have been happier sitting outside but the weather did not allow it. They did not seem to mind. Nobody said 'Oy you, get outside'
Decided to rest for the night up the road at Nesselwang where the very helpful Tourist Office found a nice B&B for me. I felt very welcome as a cyclist. The Bo-Ko route is seen as good method of attracting tourists to the area in summer. The village itself is at 900m and is a ski resort in Winter. Skiing only goes up to 1500m so it cannot be snow-sure. Walked into town in the evening for lovely Dinner at the Bear. The Waiter was efficient but the service a bit frenetic because he was rushing around all the time. Slow down old-boy!
Dinner at the Bear - Fuel for tomorrow

Comments