London to Salzburg on a bike - Stage 10 - Laufenburg to Romanshorn - 138km

End of the Rhine and Swiss Myths - 15th September 2013
Laufenburg - on the German side of the Rhine
Laufenburg to Romanshorn
Crossing over the bridge at Laufenburg
Giving Switzerland another chance today. Still raining as I set off. Crossed the Rhine and continued on Eurovelo 6. Good track, well marked but a bit industrial. I crossed back into Germany at Koblenz. The scenery improved as I passed through a beautiful area of the Southern Black Forest.
My Bike path

Over the River in Switzerland
Apples on one side and Corn on the other
Local Radweg
Winery
Heard a lovely choir singing coming from a Church as I passed one village. Just missed Bakerei closing time at midday so had to eat in a Country Restaurant. Bit sorry to cross back into Switzerland. With hindsight I should have continued on to the City of Constanz in Germany. Never mind. My Swiss lunch was a bit pricey but I was running on empty. I had a Farmers Breakfast Omelette which filled a few gaps between the ribs. The Waitress was African and the Cook was Croatian, continuing my experience of multi-cultural Switzerland. My route was not very good and for the first time the cycling became heavy going. I seemed to be hitting all the grape vine coated hills. Some nice scenery but quite wet. I made it to Romanshorn too late to contemplate the Ferry to Friedrichshafen so booked into the Hotel Anker.
Luxury and refinement at the Hotel Anker?
Oh dear, but at least it was open.  I was too tired, wet and thirsty to start looking for something better and more reasonably priced so it is my own fault. For 92 Swiss Francs per night you would expect a lampshade and the corridors to be clear of rubbish. The bedding had that damp wee-wee smell. I noticed sheets hanging up to dry in the dank cellar/basement when I parked Rosinante. Apart from that... Room 13 was really was rubbish. I ate in a Restaurant up the road after walking around trying to find somewhere inviting to eat on a Sunday Evening. I failed and sat in an empty restaurant studying my route for the morning. Get me out of here!

Comments