London to Salzburg on a bike - Stage 14 - Kochel am See to Neubeuern via Bad Tolz - 101km - Bodensee-Königssee-Radweg


Down from on High - 19th September 2013
My smart Breakfast Room in the B &B
Two straight sections are where I forgot to turn the timer on!
Happy to report that my very pleasant hostess was smartly attired and served me an excellent breakfast in a nice large, traditional room. The sort of room  that was probably only used for best when visitors came to the Farm. I slept pretty well in my little room, the Church bells were not too loud, and I did not have to make too many visits to the 'outside' loo.
A bridge to cross
Full Stream Ahead
Bad Tolz Kur and Spa
Bad Tolz - the elegant old town
Bad Tolz - now where is my Bakerei
Full flow - Isar River at Bad Tolz
Heading East on the gravel from Bad Tolz
Lots of off-road today's route particularly just after Bad Tolz where there are also some steepish sections. Bad Tolz itself is a particularly smart town. There is a modern Spa town on the West side of the River Isar and the old, very pretty town, on the East Bank. I looked around the place for a bit and bought my takeaway lunch in a Backerei in the old part of town. 
In the forest
Rushing Streams
Marienstein Mine info
Marienstein Golf Course - on a Hill
Another two letter word village
Schliersee
The obligatory Bavarian Cow picture of the day

Tegernsee
The off-road bumps were not appreciated by today's' plum tart and it escaped from its wrapping and turned my handlebar bag into a sticky mess. Still tasted good though as I ate the fragments in the old mining town of Marienstein! Would not have known about the digging for coal without reading the information board though. No slag heaps in view here today but a smart golf course up a steep incline. More Lakes to see on my route though. The large Tegernsee is followed by the Schliersee and then, for me, the Apple cake and Coffee in Aurach. What a delight! Friendly place too, the boss came out of the kitchen and asked about my cycling trip and we chatted for a while. The next largish community was Fischbachau before a long descent into the Inn Valley. Quite sad really, I had enjoyed the Bayern Voralpen, and this was the first sign that my trip was entering its final phase. 
Apple Cake and Coffee

Lovely Coffee stop - Gasthof Aurach
The descent was pleasant though, through Apple, Plum and Pear Orchards. Caught the whiff of fruit being processed on the Farms as I passed. Picking looks as though its still done in the old fashioned way with a ladder. Before long I was speeding along on the flat plains past fields of Maize. Had planned to stop in Bad Feilnbach but shot straight past occidentally and ended up just across the River Inn at an old town called Neubeuern. Quite a pretty old Town up a hill.They have tried to keep the place authentic so there was no sign for the Tourist Office. I found it eventually, it was hiding in a Museum. Thought the guy behind the counter was a bit stressed and highly strung but eventually he came up with a good option for me, just across the square at just over forty Euros, Hotel Burgdacherl.
Nice room, the first with a kettle, so I was able to brew up a cup of tea with the bags I had been carrying for the last 14 days.  My evening meal was taken in an interesting Cafe, almost next door, recommended by the Hotel Owner.

Picking this years heavy crop of fruit
Down on the plain
cycle path signs - pedalling is popular here
Neubeuern
Neubeuern - the Tourist Office is in the middle behind the tree
My dining companions were a Duck, a Chicken and a Fox, all stuffed, plus six very noisy people talking and laughing incessantly at a nearby table.
A different kind of Cafe
Did not understand a word of what the were saying but they seemed cheerful enough. They only had a limited menu in my hostelry but it was good food again. I had a Tiroler Grostl, another sign that Austria was close by, and a large salad. The Weiss Beer was extremely refreshing and helped me ignore the bizarre decor. All sorts of animal soft toys in the corridor. Don't know what Leopold the Family cat thought about it all. Back at my Hotel, all was quiet. The decor in my Hotel Burgdacherl was a bit odd as well, suits of Armour and trays of crockery adorned the stairways.


Anyway, I had a very good nights sleep. 

Comments