NZ Holiday - Hauraki Rail Trail - Thames to Paeroa and back on a bike

Off the Rails - 6th October
Bridging the gap - a bridge on the new rail trail
Into the  wind  going back towards Thames
The town of Thames on Thames
Our first day of poor weather and TW had a dodgy ankle so I was sent out into the wind and rain on a bicycle. Unsurprisingly, after spending the previous day in the car, I was quite happy. Rented a bike at the PAKI PAKI bike shop. Very traditional Ma and Pa bike shop. Sorted me out with a trail bike, pump, lock and spare inner tube and off I tottered. Headed for the water, the Firth of Thames, and joined a path going South.
The trail is not clearly marked to start with but I was now on the Hauraki Railtrail, a disused railway line heading for Paeroa. It is basically 36km of flat farmland between Thames and Paeroa. They have obviously spent a fair amount of money on new bridges and safety gates at all the road crossings so its a safe and easy ride. The gravel is a bit loose which made it quite heavy pedalling. My aim was to have lunch in Paeroa so I by-passed a couple of cafes, and even a pub, on the straight and level route.
Unfortunately Paeroa on a dull Saturday afternoon was very disappointing. After pedalling up one side of the main street and down the other and seeing nothing that would tempt me from my saddle I was quite happy to head straight back to Thames. The Hauraki Railtrail does go on from Paeroa but 72km on a windy day and on gravel was quite enough. The Karangahake Gorge sounds interesting though. Probably would have been better to start in Paeroa. On the list for next time!

Headed back through familiar cattle country and chatted to a few people on the way. Encountered a jolly group of Kiwi ladies of a certain age on a weekend away. One of them toppled off near a gate. She admitted to a hangover and had just had a Lager in the Pub at Hauraki. Her mate confided to me, jokingly, that she was a bit of a concern. Not to worry I said, she'll grow out of it! Bit of a stiff headwind but I powered on in the Wiggo Time Trial position (well sort of). Glad to get back to Thames and to get out of the wind blowing off the Firth of Thames. A good day out despite the wind and rain. We stayed in Thames at a nice comfortable Motel just North of Thames, the Coastal Motor Lodge. Prices seem a bit higher here, I suppose because its within range of Auckland weekenders.

Comments