Austria - E-biking in Gastein- and the high altitude cakes of Austria

Current thoughts on electric assisted cycling in Gastein

Heading for  the BiberAlm
How did I end up with an e-bike?
I have been riding my bikes in Gastein for around 14 years on various trips and I never tire of it. A thousand metre climb from the valley bottom up to a mountain hut for a friendly greeting and a cold beer and cake is a very simple pleasure. Over the last few years I have seen the growth in the use of e-bikes and watched them speed past me as I climb on my MTB. TW has had pedal assist for several years and we often cycled together, she whizzed up the hills as I huffed and puffed. Her having an e-bike meant we could ride together to some of our favourite places like the Baerstein Alm, the FundnerAlm, the Himmelwand, Hauseben and the Hauserbauer in Dorfgastein.
Ignoring the cost, I suppose I resisted buying one because hill climbing is the thing I do best and probably the thing that keeps me fit. Then, on our June visit to Gastein, I hired an e-mtb for a day, bit of a revelation! 
As a regular cyclist an e-mtb enabled me to go further and faster, still getting plenty of exercise but with reduced pain. 

I still was not totally convinced but on our return home my normal cycling pattern was disturbed by the loss of the Sandbanks Ferry. To get to the Purbecks I had to cycle around Poole Harbour. Just getting over there, mainly off-road, meant a 40-50 mile ride so I had no great desire to do any climbing on the Hills. I started using my road bike which was much easier but then I missed the off-road comfort. Hmm, maybe I need to spend some money?

BiberAlm, the view from the top
After a bit of a survey and a lot of thought I ended up at Primera, our local bike shop. My budget was £2k and I wanted  an e-MTB with a Bosch engine. Cube have a good reputation and the Manager, Clive, had a solution. In a couple of days time Cube were releasing their 2020 bikes and there was a bike for me. So after sizing and test rides I became the proud owner of a Cube Reaction Pro 500 with the very latest Bosch CX engine. 
Coffee and Pofesen at the BiberAlm

It was all I had hoped for. Around the Harbour to Lulworth Cove and back was well within range. Ringwood and the Forest finishing with a headwind back along the prom was easily accomplished. A cliffside ride to Lymington and back was easy-peasy.
Oma's Chocolate Cake at the FeldingHutte
Further and faster without the pain and with cake! So I had to bring my e-bike to Austria for our Autumn jaunt. Would it deal with the long climbs and did it have sufficient range?
When we bought our bike rack we selected one from Thule that would cope with two heavy e-bikes so it was future-proof. We also bought a ramp to roll the bikes up onto the rack so we were all set.
Lifting the e-bike onto a rack is not easy!
So, we headed off through the Tunnel. A tow-bar bike rack is not an extra charge item on Euro Tunnel but we did need to be a bit more careful driving aboard. We were also asked to put our warning flashers on in case there was anyone wandering in the carriage.
Heading down through France in a bit of a hurry at 130km/h was a bit heavy on juice but, otherwise, driving was not affected by the heavy lump on the back. We stopped for the night at Hotel out in the sticks in a place called The Relais de la voie Sacree in Issoncourt. The room was quite basic but the Restaurant was lovely. The owner and his wife had worked at the in Savoy London so standards were pretty high. One of the waitresses was obviously new but she was getting plenty of tuition from Madame. 
After a day spent on the A26 and A4 Autoroutes we opted for a more southerly cross-country on the next leg, past Nancy and through Freiburg to our next stop at Titisee in the Black Forest. Quite by chance we stopped for lunch right by one of the Rhine Canal paths I pedaled down between Strasbourg and Basle. I had stopped just up the road in Marckolsheim. 

We were very envious of the people pedaling by in the sunshine but doubly so of those stopping for cold beer at this shady spot. We toyed with the idea of taking the bikes for a quick tour but our plan was for a ride around the Lake Titisee later in the afternoon. Anyway, we were a bit late for lunch and hungry and the Kitchen was about to close. We demolished a couple of Pizzas and headed for Germany. 
A Pizza by the Canal at Marckolsheim

Perfect cycling down the canal path
It was busy on the road through Freiburg but, eventually, we climbed up to Titisee. To be honest, I had not heard of the place when we booked but we soon found that it was bit of a tourist spot! If you want to buy a cuckoo clock this the place for you!  We checked into our very nice B&B, dumped our gear and grabbed the bikes for our ride. With the weather due to change we wanted to make the most of the daylight available. We thoroughly enjoyed our short waterside ride around the Lake, particularly as we had a very pleasant beer stop en route.
Half way point on our ride around Titisee

A dustbuster - had to be done


Gastehaus Wald und See
Our next travel day was hard. It rained all the way, with lots of traffic jams. Our route took us East of Bodensee and into Austria. Then through the Arlberg Tunnel and Innsbruck. I had a senior moment in when filling the car up. I thought I had put the wrong fuel in our little car and caused a lot of confusion. A day to forget really. We deserved our Schnitzels that evening in the Gastein Alm.

Testing Times in Gastein
At the Gadauner Hochalmen on my FeldingHutte ride
I tried Sparky on my three regular high rides, to the Felding Hutte, Biber Alm and Grabneralm.
Each represent about a 1000m climb. With a fully charged '5 bar' battery for each ride the bike had plenty of range and I still had 3 or 2 bars left when I returned home. My e-bike has 4 modes, ECO, TOUR, EMTB and TURBO each giving increasing level of assistance. I used only ECO and TOUR on my climbs.

The Canine superstar at the Fundner Alm
My favourite - Ham and Eggs at the GrabnerAlm

Krapfen and coffee at the GrabnerAlm


Closed today at the WiednerAlm

Comments