Sportgastein in Summer - the Hohe Tauern National Park

Wandering in the Weissenbachtal in June
A rushing stream in the Weissenbachtal
It was busy at the bus stop as we waited for the bus up to Sportgastein. The waiting tourists despite their advanced years had failed to grasp the basics of queuing and, as soon as the bus arrived, they stampeded for the door! None of them had their money ready so the bus left late. We avoided getting crushed and still found seats for the 45 minute ride up to Sportgastein, our gateway to the Hohe Tauern National Park. The Park is the largest in Central Europe. It’s a mix of rugged mountains and high alpine farmland. I was sticking to the farmland and made my way across the flat area where the cross-country skiing tracks are laid in winter. 
Down there are the Cross-country paths in winter
A left turn at the end took me up the Weissenbachtal, a valley that’s between the Kreuzkogel mountain, where we downhill ski  in winter, and the ridge of mountains that separate the Salzburg Region from Carinthia in the South.  Imagine a stream rushing through pasture with high mountains on either side all topped off with the bright warm sunshine. With the sharp-elbowed pensions left far below in the distance I only had the very contentedly grazing cows to share my path with.
Looking the udder way

At the turnaround point I made time to cool my feet in the refreshing icy water before heading back. Not sure the elusive local Marmots approved of me using their stream, or possibly didn't like my feet, they kept well away. Re-booted and refreshed I took a circular walk back to Nassfeld and the bus home. Thankfully the oldies had already headed back!


Comments