England - Wednesday Ride to Sennen Cove and Porthcurno

Exploring Cornwall in May
The Coastal Path near Porthcurno
A nice bright day and an opportunity to explore Cornwall. Cyclestreets gave me an excellent route, across country to Sennen Cove. It seemed fairly easy cycling as it skirted Penzance and was almost exclusively on quiet country roads. Only the last very last section was on the A30 but, happily, it was not too busy. I met up with TW and TMIL at Sennen Cove. They were a bit late arriving so I had time for a wander on the beach. I was given the task of paying for the Car Park whilst TMIL was taken to her seat. I am afraid it was a bit high tech. machine. You had to put the first 3 letters of your registration into the machine before paying for the ticket. I was in happy cycling mode and had no recollection of our registration and could not be bothered to look as a queue was already forming behind me. Having put in random letters it soon dawned on me that there could be a purpose to this unnecessary complication. True enough there was a chappie going around the car park scanning licence plates to determine if people had paid or not. I had to go and see him tail between legs and tell him I had suffered a senior moment.  No longer in a happy mood it was time for lunch at the 'The Beach' Restaurant. A very nice Mackerel Salad was delivered eventually. Quite impressed with The Beach, would go back. The wind was now blowing off the sea so it was a an easy ride to Porthcurno for another beach walk and a wander on the coastal path. Quite a contrast in just a short distance between Sennen (open Surf Beach) and Porthcurno (sheltered cove). I did not plan a route home to Carbis Bay which was a bit of a mistake. I thought I would follow NCN 3. NCN 3 takes a decent route via Lamorna, Mousehole, Newlyn and Penzance. The wind really got up and to avoid fighting my way back via St Erth I took a detour through Penzance and then straight over the top on the B3311. Not sure this was a good idea as it was a long climb into the wind.
On the Rocks in Porhcurno
Carbis Bay to Sennen Cove
Sennen Cove to Carbis Bay via Porthcurno

Comments