Austria - Gastein Valley bike ride - on the Gastein Radweg

Good day for a ride
In full flow in Bad Gastein

Looking North in Gastein
With snow on the hills down to about 1700m it was never going be too warm.  After a couple of false starts, when heavy showers swept past our balcony, I headed along the river towards Bad Bruck. Quite a few people were out walking, keeping low in the valley where the temperatures are at their highest. The swollen river rushed past as I headed upstream.  I took my tried and tested route up through the horse stables and then a very stiff climb up a forest track towards Gruner Baum (abt 1000m). Had to remove a top layer half-way as I struggled up in bottom gear. There is very loose gravel near the top so I had to walk the last few metres, no grip being my lame excuse. At the top it was layer back on as I took the bike route down, and then up again, towards Bad Gastein. I had to join a road for the first time as I climbed through Bad Gastein. Plenty of cafe's on the route but, for once, I managed to resist them. Water was piling down the iconic waterfall. A lot of properties awaiting restoration, must have been lovely in its heyday but looking sad today. I made a quick exit North from town down the Archduke Johann Promenade then up over the Railway Line and another climb before a cruise round the mountain towards Anger. Time for yet another climb, this time up to the Angertal Ski Centre via forest road. There is snow at the top of the mountain but the Ski Centre at 1200m and its surrounding lifts looked very uncomfortable and out of place surrounded by deep green grass. I headed down the main access road and then swung left on an upward path towards today's Alm. Bit of a zig-zag up past the Baerstein Alm, the Middle Station and the Aeroplanstadl. I could soon see the Fundner Alm (1400m) ahead. It looked closed but cows and goats were in the field outside.
Bad Hofgastein
The family dog greeted me from the doorway. Ah good, its open. Have never sat inside before, normally in Summer its warm enough to sit outside and enjoy the view. It is only a small wooded structure but comfortable enough for me, the dog, the Farmer, his wife and a waitress. One other customer was there, a rep for one of the Scandinavian Tour companies that bring walkers to the valley. She was planning to bring a group the following day. Will be bit of a squeeze if the weather does not warm up.
Enjoyed my Weiss beer with bread and ham, think I earned it. A bit cold on the winding descent back down to Bad Hofgastein (850m). Cycling without traffic - wonderful.

Comments