Bad Hofgastein - my Ski Technique under the microscope


On the Piste - House for rent above Angertal
I think I can ski around the mountain pretty well and have have developed a method that seems to suit me and is pretty economical. I tend to go for the steepest part of the piste and go at a good pace.  The other day, by chance, we met a couple of people from Marlow having lunch in the Felding Hutte. Turns out they are good skiers and used to be ski instructors in an earlier life.
I spent a day skiing with them in Dorfgastein. They volunteered some comments on my skiing.
My pole planting they described as like windscreen wipers, apparently this is not good!
I do not lean forward enough and am too upright.
I do not properly complete my turns.
I need to edge the ski's more by angling my ankles.
Oh, and I ski too fast. I need to use more of the piste and spend longer on ski's and less time on the lifts.

Grossarl - over the hill from Gasteinertal
Oh well, not much to worry about then! So if you see someone doing neat turns at moderate speed on the pistes of Bad Hofgastein - it will not be yours truly.

Have to say I have taken their comments on board but whether this old dog can learn new tricks is debatable.
Ski bikers - MTB'ers are hitting the slopes
It's all go at the Junge Stube on a sunny Sunday
January snow loads the trees in Bad Hofgastein
It is not all downhill in Sportgastein. Langlauf in the valley
Looking down on Grossarl on a sunny morning

Comments