Alpe-Adria Bike Tour - the Prologue, Stanstead to Grado Pineta with the bike

The Prologue - flying off to Italy - 7th June 2012
Flying with a bike is not the most straightforward activity. Arriving at the destination and seeing the bike arrive on the carousel bent and broken must be avoided at all costs. That means careful packing! This for me means bike in a bag plus bag in a box, on the way out . I know, its bit of a Russian doll system but it works.
My carrier of choice to Trieste was to be Ryanair. Well, it’s not really Trieste, its Friulli Venezia Guilia, Regional Airport, but that's close enough. The fare for me was £16 and £50 for the bike. The bike got Club Class whilst I was stuck in steerage! It took a while to get through Stanstead. Had to queue for baggage check-in and then take the box to ‘out of gauge’. Another queue for security where they stopped me because of the energy drink powder in my hand luggage. I really should have put it in my other pannier that was in the bike box. They then did their swab test, another fail! They reckoned my pannier had picked up something off the road, petrol or similar. It was soon sorted, albeit after a bit of form filling, and I was on my way. Good job that TW dropped me at the Airport nice and early. After struggling to drink a scalding hot coffee at the gate it was time for my non-priority boarding.  Ryanair seem to be blocking off several rows at the front and several rows at the back so we were all packed in the middle of the fuselage. The crew said it was for aircraft balance but you can’t help thinking it’s a cunning ploy to make priority boarding more beneficial and to make it easier to serve and sell. I was sat next to a couple developing a property in Slovenia. He was quite chatty so heard all about their village and Slovenia.
Got the usual fanfare for another ‘on toim’ arrival! Welcome to Italy and nice blast of warm air at the top of the steps, goodbye UK rain! Great relief to see my box appear on the conveyor. I found a shady spot outside the terminal to put Rosinante back together. Any vital parts missing? Cycling off with just one pedal would not be funny, for me anyway.  No, happily all was present and correct. I disposed of the box and I headed off on the short ride to Grado Pineta. Keep on the right, right!

Trieste Airport to Grado Pineta - 24km 
Italy - off to the seaside
On the road to Grado Pineta
Peach Trees by the road
It was billiard table flat all the way to the coast on a mix of cycle paths and fairly quiet roads that took me past Peach Orchards and Grape Vines. A very nice introduction to Italy. Checked in at the Hotel Plaza. The Italian receptionist was pleased to see me. Most of her guests were German and Austrian but she did not speak German.  She was, however, fluent in English and was delighted to be understood for once. My bike was safely stored in a smart conference room and my room wasn’t bad either. We were both feeling welcome and well looked after.
Paddling at Pineta
Grado Pineta is the quiet neighbour to Grado, lots of Apartment blocks, some camp-sites and just three hotels. Where Grado is a bit smart and a tad chic, Pineta looks a bit tired and weary. Suited me fine!
Bike, beds and umbrellas
I had booked Half Board (69 Euros) and had my first Italian menu thrust before me in the Hotel Restaurant. I was starving so was ready to eat anything. The starter mentioned lasagne, no idea what the main was but the pudding was Panna Cotta. My dining companions seemed more interested in diving outside for a smoke so I had no competition for the salad bar. My tactic was to sit near the buffet table and make regular attacks without piling the plate too high. Feeling very satisfied and nicely bloated I headed off for a walk by the Adriatic. Not like a Cornish Beach for sand or surf but it wins handsomely in terms of umbrellas and beach beds.
The Route Ahead - Grado to Bad Hofgastein
Trieste Airport to Bad Hofgastein

Comments