The Great West Time Trial

Anyone seen Number 17?

So what is the usual outcome of a convivial Curry night at the Last Viceroy? Well, it could be simply a nice meal and a good memory. More likely for me, it would be an upset stomach or a hangover.
On the other hand it might result in a commitment to do something never previously attempted, like entering a Time Trial? Surely not! I blame the Cobra.
I have often seen cyclists bombing down the local carriageways at weekends with numbers on their backs and never considered that I might join them. I'm a tourist or a mountain biker, I don’t do speedy!
However, I found myself signed up for a Saturday morning Time Trial on the A4 - the Great West Road.

So I needed to be at an Industrial Park at twenty to nine on Saturday morning. I have a bike and the obligatory Lycra but what of the other logistics? Should I 'ride out' to the start, how do I know the route? Oh well, I suppose all will be revealed.
Well, I arrived in good time for the start and was welcomed by the organiser, “give us your two quid, sign this and here's a number.” I needed to pin the number to my back. The first attempt was hopeless and would have ended up with me towing a braking parachute but I got there in the end. My fellow trialists were warming up on the road so I thought I had better do the same but try not to overdo it. I pedalled up the road simulating practice. The start was planned for 9am and we would head off at one minute intervals in number order. Trouble is, even though I had spent about ten minutes pinning the number on my back I had no idea what my number was. Excuse me, what's my number is a pretty daft question but I found myself blurting it out. You are number 17!
Oh dear, I looked around, there were a few familiar faces but very unfamiliar outfits! Streamlined helmets, triathlon bars - what the hell was I doing here! I was definitely way outside of my comfort zone.
Cometh the hour, cometh the minute! I needed to clip into my pedals and would then be supported until I was pushed off at my allotted time. I was a bit concerned that, at the appointed hour, I would simply topple into the road. My starter informed that he hadn’t dropped anyone yet which was reassuring.. At seven minutes past nine I tottered off on my 10 mile journey to the Twyford roundabout and back. The route looked pretty level but, when you are trying for speed, any slope is like a brick wall. The first stretch had a slight incline and, even though I had decided to start slowly, I was soon gasping for oxygen. I wondered how long it would be before I was passed. I did not have long to wait! I was passed three times. I had imagined that the slow people would be sent off first which would have meant even more people flying past. I was pretty slow though, the time keeper thought I had taken a wrong turning.
I enjoyed it anyway, my 31 min 35 sec was the slowest of the day but at least I know I can do better. I was given a few tips amongst which were; don’t carry your water bottle, don’t take your tool kit, don’t wave at the riders going in the other direction and don’t start off too quickly! Nobody said don’t come back. Next time I will know the routine, next time I will keep my head down. Next time I will stay off the Cobra!

Comments