Henley ride on Valentines Day

The green green grass of home (46km)

Climbed back on my tourer for the first time since November.  The mountain bike and skiing are my excuses for leaving Rosinante parked up.  I headed off into the Chiltern Hills with the sun on my back for a winter warm-up. Lovely bright sunny day after yesterday’s rain. The hills seem to be a bit steeper than on my last ride out here though.
Struggled with the darn pedal bindings at first, nearly toppled when I stopped to let a car pass on a single-track road but hopefully I will be OK for the next Wednesday ride.
Footpath near Stonor
I pre-arranged to meet TW in the Henley Tea Rooms for a Valentines Day Fish and Chips lunch. I know, I’m just a romantic fool! Had a bit of luck as well, the Tea Rooms has changed hands since my last visit and isn’t set up for payment cards yet. So TW had to pay with a cheque! Amazing what Ladies carry in their hand-bags. Hopefully the new owner will not make too many changes. It will be dreadful if I come back next time and find it has been painted beige, reduced to minimalistic decor, the carpeted floor replaced with wood and the honest cuppa switched to Latte. Aaagh, please, not another Costa Starbucker! Mind you they should fix the flush and sort out the toilet seat, its one of those that will not stay lifted and business has to be completed with one knee strategically placed to prevent it banging down at a critical moment. 
The Fish & Chips were fine, would have had Shepherds pie if I hadn't passed these on the way there. There cannot be many better places in the world to be a sheep than the borders of Bucks and Oxon. The grass is so green.


Comments