The ups and downs of Gastein - Gadauner Hochalmen

From Angertal to the Schlossalm via the high alpine pastures

Looking back to Anger
Sitting on the ski lift in Winter I often look up the valley to a high area where there is no skiing and the only signs of human visitation are the mostly snow-buried huts on the hillside. These are the Gadauner Hochalmen. Have always wanted to go up there and today is the day.
Felding Hutte
Took the 09:45 bus to Angertal today so started the walk at 10 am. Headed uphill towards the Gadauner Hochalmen. The path starts just past the winter ski beginners’ area. I headed uphill on a steep path that forms part of the Salzburger Almweg. Not long before the tree-line the path hit a farm road switch-backing its way up the mountain. Once clear of the trees the valley end appeared, a huge sweep of alpine pastures backed by steep rocky mountains.
The Gadauner Hochalmen were scattered around at 1800m offering a choice of stopping points. It was still only 11:30, before the beering hour, so resisted the temptation to visit the Felding Hutte and headed down to where harvesting was in progress.

On these lower slopes a team of Sunday grass-cutters were out. Some were using what looked like garden motor mowers to harvest the grass on the steeply inclined fields.

Mowing the lawn Austrian style
On the tractor with Dad!
A convoy of veteran tractors was straining its way up the farm track on the other side of the valley. They had huffed and puffed their way up on a days outing. One cherry cheeked chappie was familiar to me as he was the mini bus driver who used to take us to Salzburg Airport when the we had a bigger budget. He grinned like a Cheshire Cat as he passed. Not sure if they had already made any Alm stops but no doubt they had plans to ‘refuel’ at some of the Gadauner Alms they now had in their sights.

Anyway, I carried on down for a bit and then started uphill again on the other side of the valley towards my own refuelling station, the Rockfeldalm at 1822m. Having received a warm welcome from the Lady in charge I managed to order my beer and home cured ham and bread but she struggled to get me to order an additional item on offer. Did I want some blah-blah. No idea what it was but after she asked me several times, each time louder than the last, I said ‘Ja bitte’ having no idea what it was. Pickled gherkin! After that I think she decided that I was deaf or dumb, or perhaps both, and spoke to me very, very loudly and slowly. Schonen Urlaub, (have a nice holiday) she bellowed as I left. The whole family seemed to be working there on this sunny Sunday. I think my waiter was about 10, at least he didn’t shout!
 In a pickle over gherkins

So I pressed on up the hill with my ears ringing. Came to a fence and waited for a guy coming down-hill to cross first. 'Gruss gott' I said, and that set him off! Langsam bitte, (slowly please), I am from England and deaf and dumb, I said. He carried on with his delirious rambling and I decided he did not like the goat track that he had just traversed and I was about to embark on. He may well have been saying it was a crazy track, my wife has fallen off the cliff and now there is nobody to cook my tea. Anyway I carried on.
On the ropes
It was a bit dicey in parts but then I suppose that’s part of walking in the mountains. There were ropes for some of the tricky sections. He was probably an Elf’n Safety Officer.
The Heidelbeer pickers were out in force as I carried on up to about 2100m and then crossed a ridge that took me into the Schlossalm ski area. The sound of an oompah band playing at the Top Lift Station, where I was headed, drifted across on the wind. They were playing a march, which was really handy. So with arms swinging and a renewed spring in my step I headed across to lift where TW was waiting. Arrived at 14:30 just as the rain started. At the end of the day, we took the Cable Car down to Bad Hofgastein, after suitable refreshments naturally. Another great day and another one of the must do walks completed. Must stop at a Hochalmen next time!

Across Blueberry Hills
Valley View
Schlossalm Ski Area in Summer

Comments